Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Chet Raymo “Morning Meditation”

 “Morning Meditation”
by Chet Raymo

“Crows roost in the trees of Ballybeg, down there at the bottom of the hill. Their raucous chorus reaches me at my desk, here in my burrow under the gorse. I look out over the parish, and now and then a solitary crow drifts into the frame, riding an uplifting wind, taunting me with its proprietary ownership of the landscape. And I think of Ted Hughes' poem "Littleblood", from that haunting volume “Crow”:
   "O littleblood, hiding from the mountains in the mountains
    Wounded by stars and leaking shadow
    Eating the medical earth."

I'm not sure who or what Littlebood represented in Hughes' imagination, but for me crow, certainly, and his shadows in this landscape, at once thousands of years under human cultivation, still wild and wounded with some more ancient power, as thorny and primal as the gorse.
    "O littleblood, little boneless little skinless
    Ploughing with a linnet's carcase
    Reaping the wind and threshing the stones."

I'll spend the next several months beating back the gorse and bracken and bramble and stone and wind and rain that always threatens to engulf the cottage, the singsong of the stars at night, keening.
    "O littleblood, drumming in a cow's skull
    Dancing with a gnat's feet
    With an elephant's nose and a crocodile's tail."

That crow out there rising on the wind, the heron and the coal tit, the kestrel and the wren, the blackberries bleeding their August juices into the earth. This land doesn't belong to me. I just roost on it, temporarily, until crow's shadows rise up at night and eat me.
   "Grown so wise grown so terrible
    Sucking death's mouldy tits..."

I wait. I roost. And as I write a clear blue sky has given way to an all-enveloping cold Atlantic mist that has rolled in through the Windy Pass.
    "Sit on my finger, sing in my ear, O littleblood."

"Sit. Sing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment