by Chet Raymo
Previously I proposed here Four Rules of Rational Thinking, and had some savvy comments by readers. Let me now propose Seven Rules of Believing that I would offer for the consideration of others.
1. Respect what your parents and teachers tell you, but keep an open mind.
4. Be willing to say "I don't know."
5. Don't be afraid to say "I was wrong."
6. Keep a sense of humor.
7. Respect the beliefs of others, in so far as they are willing to respect your beliefs."
• Do not use more when less will suffice.
• Prefer the probable to the improbable.
• Do not evoke the exotic when the commonplace will do.
• Be prepared to admit you are wrong.”