Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Why Is This Blog (Still) Here?

Why Is This Blog (Still) Here?

September 18, 2008: The Queen asked me, “Why are you always reading this depressing stuff? And writing about it on that blog? There’s nothing you can do about it.” She, in common with 99% of the American sheeple, prefers not to know. The question did make me consider why I’m really doing this, though. Almost no one knows of this blog, and that’s by intent. I’ve shared it’s existence with several people whose opinions I respect, though others might find it by chance. There are, and will never be, any ads here; there’s never been any intent to commercialize this. It’s not about ego. I don’t require praise for my writing skills; I’m aware of my capabilities, and don’t need any stroking, thanks anyway. I have no need for convincing anyone else of anything, if I could. None of those things are why this blog exists. But I will share my very personal reasons for all this...

The late astronomer Carl Sagan said, "I don't want to believe. I want to know." People will almost always believe what is most comfortable, easy, and safe for themselves to believe. Rarely will anyone dig deeper, looking for “the Truth” behind all the lies and nonsensical myths we’re fed all our lives, especially if that information challenges long held beliefs and convictions. For better or worse, I’m one of those unfortunate bastards cursed with the disease of terminal curiosity, literally compelled to constantly seek out truthful, and verifiable, crumbs of information, assembling these into a picture that more closely approximates actual reality than most are used to. Reality is a scary place, I’ve discovered. This blog is my exercise book, the learning tool with which I sharpen my mental focus and concentration, and helps me research and further analyze subjects of personal interest. Nothing more than that. I posted in the “about me” that anyone reading things here should not believe any of it, and to research it for oneself. That’s good advice- what if I’m lying, or simply wrong? To the best of my knowledge everything posted here is cited, true and verifiable. If anything here informs or helps you in any way, good. In the end you’ll need to find what your own “truth” is. Like the Apple Computer slogan, try to “Think Different” than the sheeple, wake up from the slumber, and discover your own reality. If you’re reading this, welcome, I’m delighted to share my discoveries. I hope something interests you...

Written and posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008

Funny thing, looking through the old archives I stumbled upon this, and wanted to share it with you. Of course, we're a little better known now than then, and the focus has changed somewhat in response to circumstances in the "fierce urgency of now", but the search for "truth", the best version of it anyway, still holds true, as it should for all of us. It's been an honor and privilege to share what I've found with you. What a long, strange trip it's been, lol! And always, thanks for stopping by!
- CP

2 comments:

  1. I think the most disappointing part of blogging is lack of feedback. Mind, I always expected my lack of original content would be the greatest discouragement to contact and continuing on. It has been since December 2005 since I was welcomed by exMI and Threescore and More. That was educational, as exMI was a teacher who ended up in prison ( again ) and an instructor in interrogation - who had zero respect for torturers. Threescore and More lost his wife and ended up erasing wonderful content on his time on the stage. And that blog lasted 2 years and was breaking into the top 10% on Technorati when WordPress realized it was a link farm - and pressed the kill button without explaining clearly what they meant by violation of Terms of Service. Opera Community became home from Dec 2007 until the end of January 2014 - sharing a common email with other bloggers was a good way to communicate. Translation was built in, and it was bemusing to note a Pakistani lad romance a Polish girl when the 2 had little in common. I miss that. Ah well, I finally logged into Facebook and it looks that day should be done as well. It's good to hear from you as you engage the muse. More should do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment about your own experience, opit, I'd guess all who do this have our own unique rationales, each experience is different, but perhaps under it all is a sense of giving to others what we've found and consider of value, thinking that maybe, just maybe, that one article, quote, song or picture might make someone else's life just a little better. We'll never know of course, feedback is so very rare, but the mere doing of it gives hope and purpose. "Engage the muse" indeed, a harsh taskmaster at times who engages me whether I will or no! lol Thanks for stopping by and commenting, always great to "see" you!

    ReplyDelete