Saturday, February 4, 2017

"Read..."

"Read for yourselves, read for the sake of your inspiration, for the sweet turmoil in your lovely head. But also read against yourselves, read for questioning and impotence, for despair and erudition, read the dry sardonic remarks of cynical philosophers like Cioran or even Carl Schmitt, read newspapers, read those who despise, dismiss or simply ignore poetry and try to understand why they do it. Read your enemies, read those who reinforce your sense of what's evolving in this world, and also read those whose darkness or malice or madness or greatness you can't understand because only in this way will you grow, outlive yourself, and become what you are."
 - Adam Zagajewski
Hat tip to Whiskey River for this quote. Please do visit this excellent website.

2 comments:

  1. This is like saying "give in to the dark side." No, I prefer to live in the light. Why would anyone want to dwell on the dark thoughts of others? I prefer to read for positive learning, entertainment, travel vicariously to places I've never been to, or even to places I have been to; to experience things I may never have the chance to; to relish the thinking, imagination, creativity, innovation, creation, successes and failures of others for positive life affirmation.

    I don't read newspapers because most of the content is 'alternative facts', aka lies. I choose my sources carefully and trust my instinct on what is in line with my beliefs and experience because those have been proven through time to have been worthy of continuing. Those the MSM push are ideas that have largely failed throughout history but continue with each new generation of mush heads who matriculate from rotten institutions of higher learning.

    No thanks. I'll stick with my own reasons for reading. I enjoy it immensely and read as much as I can on a wide variety of topics. That's why I like this site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the author's point was clearly stated, LetsPlay: "...also read those whose darkness or malice or madness or greatness you can't understand because only in this way will you grow, outlive yourself, and become what you are." Of course read what interests and empowers you, and always avoid obviously propaganda and lies. But, if you're inclined to try to understand the mentality behind "darkness or malice or madness" you'll need to expose yourself to their thinking. How can you fight and defeat an enemy you can't, or won't, understand? Thanks for stopping by and commenting, always good to "see" you, and I'm very glad you enjoy this site! We do what we can...

    ReplyDelete