Monday, May 29, 2017

Paulo Coelho, "The One Guilty Man"

"The One Guilty Man"
by Paulo Coelho

"Wise King Weng asked to visit the palace prison, and he began listening to the prisoners’ complaints. ‘I’m innocent,’ said a man accused of murder. ‘I’m here simply because I wanted to give my wife a fright, but I accidentally killed her.’ ‘I was accused of taking a bribe,’ said another, ‘but all I did was accept a gift.’

All the prisoners declared their innocence to King Weng, until one of them, a young man of only twenty or so, said: ‘I’m guilty. I wounded my brother in a fight and I deserve to be punished. This place has made me reflect on the pain I caused.’ ‘Remove this criminal from the prison immediately!’ cried King Weng. ‘He’ll end up corrupting all these entirely innocent men.’"

No comments:

Post a Comment