Monday, May 22, 2017

"The Wisdom of Studs Terkel"

“I thought, if ever there were a time to write a book about hope, it's now.”

“Why are we born? We're born eventually to die, of course. But what happens between the time we're born and we die? We're born to live. One is a realist if one hopes.”

“The September 11 assault was horrendous. But there's another assault that's taking place. It's an assault upon our intelligence. It's an assault upon our sense of decency as well as upon our faiths too, I believe.”

“That's what we're missing. We're missing argument. We're missing debate. We're missing colloquy. We're missing all sorts of things. Instead, we're accepting.”

“With optimism, you look upon the sunny side of things. People say, 'Studs, you're an optimist.' I never said I was an optimist. I have hope because what's the alternative to hope? Despair? If you have despair, you might as well put your head in the oven.”

“I hope for peace and sanity - it's the same thing.”

- Studs Terkel, (1898-2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment